Buying a home is one of the biggest investments you’re ever going to make. And as such it’s important to take the necessary steps to protect that investment. You probably wouldn’t buy a car without taking it for a test drive and you definitely shouldn’t buy a home without having a home inspection done first.
A home inspection is also a great way to learn more about the property you’re interested in buying. To help you get the most out of the inspection, it helps to ask the right questions. Here are the top 20 questions to ask before, during, and after a home inspection.
Questions to Ask Potential Home Inspectors
When you’re getting ready to make an offer on a house, you usually have to act quickly. And sometimes it can be tough to find an inspector on such short notice. But that doesn’t mean you should hire just anyone for the job. Take the opportunity to ask a few questions of your inspector to ensure that they are a qualified home inspector.
Home inspectors in Ontario are not required to be licensed, so you want to ensure that the person you’re working with has previous experience and the necessary knowledge to answer your questions. Some questions to ask your home inspector before you hire them include:
- What are your qualifications as a home inspector?
- What certifications do you have?
- Are you insured?
- How long have you been inspecting homes?
- What does your home inspection cover?
What to Ask During a Home Inspection?
While it may not be mandatory to be present during the inspection, it’s definitely worth your while to be on site when the inspection happens. It gives you the opportunity to ask questions and learn more about the house than you might from just a follow-up report. You can also discover helpful things like the location of shut-off valves and electrical panels that could come in handy during your first few days in a new home.
A home inspection should cover all the major components and systems of the home. To ensure nothing gets missed, it can be helpful to have a list of questions prepared in advance. Here are some important questions to ask during a home inspection:
- Have any modifications or renovations been made to the house?
- What is the condition of the roof?
- Is the foundation structurally sound?
- How well is the house insulated?
- Is the electrical system to code?
- Are there any problems with the plumbing?
- Are the heating and cooling (HVAC) systems working efficiently?
- Is there any signs of insects or rodents?
- Is there any evidence of water damage?
- Does the property have good drainage?
Questions to Ask Your Home Inspector After the Inspection
Once the inspection is complete, a few follow-up questions can help you get an overall feel for the condition of the property. This is also a good time to clarify anything you were unsure about or forgot to ask during the inspection. You can also ask your home inspector these questions to get their impression of the house:
- What are your biggest concerns about the property?
- Are there any red flags I should be aware of?
- What should I repair first?
- Should I ask the seller to make any repairs?
- Would you buy this home in this condition?
A few days after the inspection you should receive a report that includes all the findings and recommendations from the inspector. Take the time to read it fully to ensure there are no surprises when you move into your new home.
There’s always so much to learn during a home inspection. Go into the process looking like a pro with our top 20 questions to ask during a home inspection.